Saturday 7 August 2010

FILM - Character Design

WHO IS WEARING WHAT?


So, in 'Spaghetti Western' - who is going to wear what, and what props will I need? I want to make sure the clothes are not bright, but dark and cool, to keep it gritty and real, and give undertones, for Jim's character, of a sort of 'anti-heroness'. 


Jim Higson - The Cowboy.
Inevitably, I will look at some of the characters that inspired the character of The Cowboy. So basically, Clint Eastwood...

















I of course don't want very colourful cowboys. Blacks and browns are best, as the distinction between good and bad doesn't necessarily have to be shown through clothes. However, I do want a big distinction between the Mexican and Cowboy. A poncho is a good way to indicate instantly that one character is Mexican, so I will have the Mexican take the poncho, and have a more western styled jacket for the cowboy. Everything about this character has to be Western, to be immediately recognisable as the  'Gringo' cowboy character. So I will have a western styled brown jacket, black jeans like Eastwood above and a black hat to match, and a denim or grey shirt. I will need to get cowboy boots as well.

Louis Crompton - The Mexican












The Mexican character again needs to be immediately identified as  the Mexican. The Mexican characters in Western films tend to be characterised by simpleness and ruggedness. For my character I want a sombrero, a stereotypical Mexican hat, a poncho, and some simple prison style clothes, as he has just come out of prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment